Who will help me start my recovery in the hospital after I have had neurosurgery? Skilled professionals will assess your needs and make sure you get the care you need as healing begins.
- Hospitalist. A physician who specializes in the care of patients during the hospital stay and works closely with the surgeon’s team to care for the patient.
- Registered nurses (RNs). There are nurses in the before operation or pre-op holding area, in the immediately following surgery or recovery area, and once the patient is moved to a room on the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU). Nurses may also come by the house if home health visits are needed after discharge from the hospital.
- Physical therapists will work with you to support strengthening your muscles, regaining your balance, and becoming more physically able. Therapy will help restore your physical functioning and mobility. The visits will increase strength, flexibility and mobility. This will also reduce pain and joint stiffness.
- Occupational therapists will assist with goals centered around improving daily living abilities and making it easier to function independently. This allows you to engage in daily activities without putting unnecessary strain on joints. Occupational therapists may suggest modifications to your home environment to ensure safety and successful completion of everyday task activities.
- Social workers can aide you and your family adapt to any changes needed while you recover and set up rehabilitation stays when needed.
- Pain management: severe and lingering pain can lead to depression, sleep problems, immobility, or mobility limitations that can slow healing. If the pain is acute, recurrent, or chronic a referral to a specialist that is dedicated to managing pain with a wide range of treatment options. Pain management can offers psychological support or referral to help you cope with the emotional stress of having chronic pain, undergoing a surgical procedure, and recovery.
Whether you need rehabilitation therapy, home health visits, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or pain management, our experienced team at Axis Brain and Back works together to guide your journey back to health.